To use all features of ExamJet Quiz Maker and use it on a local network you should install a fully functional remote database – SQL Server or SQL Server Express.
Install SQL Server Express
SQL Server Express is a free edition of Microsoft SQL Server and it is an ideal solution for storing large number quizzes and tests in ExamJet Quiz Maker.
Installing and configuring SQL Server is quite easy. Installation wizard has all the necessary options to configure it properly.
Download the latest version of SQL Server Express from the official website: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/
You will need to download “SQL Server Express with Tools” which contains the database engine and management studio.
Depending on your system, you will need to choose 32-bit or 64-bit version to download.
We recommend installing it on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 or on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Steps to do:
1. Copy downloaded file on a desired computer and run it. You will see an installation preparation window.
2. Click the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation button. SQL Server 2012 setup wizard will run.
3. Check I accept the license terms check box and press the Next button.
4. Press the Next button again and begin installation. After a minute, you will see a Feature Selection page. You do not need to change anything on that page, so press the Next button.
5. On a Database Engine Configuration page, select the Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication), after that specify the password for the SQL Server system administrator account.
After that step, you do not need any additional changes in the configuration, so press Next button and the installation process will begin.
SQL Server Express is a quite big product and the installation process may require some time.
Configure SQL Server Express
If you wish to use SQL Server Express as a local database, you do not need to change anything in the configuration. However, if you would like to use ExamJet Quiz Maker on your local network, you will need to make some changes in the database server too.
The only thing you will need to change is the remote connection type. By default, connecting from a local network to the database engine is disabled, so you will need to enable it.
Create a new SQL Server user
For better security, we recommend to create a specific SQL Server user and use it in the ExamJet Quiz Maker.
1. Click Start button and find the SQL Server Management Studio.
You can use either the Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication to log in. If you prefer the second option, you should use the password, which you have entered during the installation. The default user is “sa”.
2. Navigate to the Security -> Logins node, and then press the right mouse button on a node Logins.
3. Select a New Login. You will see a new login page.
4. Type in the desired Login Name. After that, select the SQL Server authentication and enter the strong password. Be sure, that the User must change password at next login check box is unchecked.
5. Go to the Server Roles page. For simplicity, we choose the role sysadmin, this role ensures that the user has enough privileges to create a new database.
That’s it, now you can press the OK button and close the SQL Management Studio.
Allow SQL Server Express to receive remote connections
In order to allow SQL Server Express receive remote connections you should:
- Enable TCP/IP protocol
- Configure Windows Firewall
Enable TCP/IP protocol
1. Click Start button and find the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
2. Navigate to the Protocols for SQLEXPRESS node and enable the TCP/IP protocol.
3. Choose Properties and go to the IP Addresses tab page. Scroll down to the IPALL section and remove the value from the TCP Dynamic Ports text box. Then, enter 1433 in the TCP Port text box.
4. Press OK button.
5. Navigate to the SQL Server Services node and Restart the SQL Server service.
Configure Windows Firewall
Download a little command file (download link) and run it as administrator. This command will add a Rule in the Windows Firewall for the SQL Server Express.
Now you can access the database server from your local network.
Install and Configure ExamJet Quiz Maker
1. Download ExamJet Quiz Maker from our website and install it.
2. Launch Test Manager. You will see a Database Setup page where you can create a local database or a remote database. To view instructions about how to create a local database, please see the help article.
3. Select the Remote Database tab page and check the Connect to the Remote Database (Microsoft SQL Server) radio button. Now, you have an option to set the server name where you have installed SQL Server Express.
Please note that Microsoft SQL Server Express will create a new instance called “SQLEXPRESS” and you should use that instance when you try to connect to the database from ExamJet Quiz Maker.
For example, if your computer’s name is TEST-PC, a full server connection path will be “TEST-PC,1433\SQLEXPRESS” (The number – 1433 is a port number which is the default port for SQL Server).
You should always try to use the SQL Server Authentication when it is possible. It ensures that only authorized users have access to the database and you can easily disable access to that database.
1. Choose the SQL Server Authentication and enter your user name and password, which you have created earlier.
2. Enter the new database name and Press the Test Connection button. You will see a message that Connection test was successful.
3. Press the Create Database button. ExamJet Quiz Maker will create a new database and run Test Manager.